Need Help Recovering from a Sports Injury? Looking to Improve Your Sports Performance?
Sports Medicine is the Right Choice
Sports Medicine or sport physical therapy is a specialized area of physical therapy that deals with both acute, chronic, and repetitive injuries in professional, collegiate, high school and recreational athletes. Practice includes the thorough evaluation, treatment, transition back to sport, prevention, and performance enhancement programs.
Often, sports therapists work with post-surgical athletes to help them recover their strength, range of motion, and activities of daily living. To accomplish this, sports therapy specialists use techniques such as:
- Manual Therapy (specialized hands-on techniques to facilitate movement, and functional control)
- Therapeutic Exercise - from active range of motion (simply working against gravity), to advanced resistance protocols, sports therapists help an athlete recover the necessary strength to compete in their given sport.
- Heat, ice, taping techniques, and electrical stimulation
- Functional Retraining - all sports require specialized balance, movement patterns, and dynamic flexibility and stability. Sports therapy includes retraining the athlete in their given area of interest or excellence. Examples include helping pitchers recover their throwing mechanics and ensuring total body strength to alleviate stress through commonly utilized shoulder musculature. Assisting football and soccer players in cutting, running, jumping and quick transitions. Helping basketball players, wrestlers, cheerleaders and band members recover the jumping, shuffling, and changing of speeds/directions that ease needed to compete.
- Dynamic Strength & Endurance Training - most sports require endurance, balance, and short burst of intense strength output. In the later stages of rehabilitation of athletes, sports therapists transition players to advanced conditioning programs that closely replicate their experience on the court or playing field.
Sports therapists often provide interventions and recommendations to assist athletes with the prevention. Once you return to your sport our therapists will provide you with the proper program to assist in avoiding future injury.